better late than never. i’ve been thinking about some of my favorite films of last year. here’s my top five:
1) No Country for Old Men — This the only film of the year I saw more than once in the theater (3 times to be exact). This film is simply a treasure of story telling and filmmaking. it’s received an incredible amount of hype but for very good reason. the coen brothers are geniuses and this movie is a blatant reminder of that fact. My two favorite performances of the year are both here in this movie with Tommy Lee Jones and Javier Bardem.
2) Once — You might remember my post about this movie earlier in the year. I saw it once in a theater with two other dudes (one who snored the whole time) and once on dvd with my wife. I must say, I enjoyed it much more watching it with my special lady friend. If the trivial subjects of love and music interest you in any way, then you will fall in love with this movie. If you don’t care for things like love and music, then maybe you were busy campaigning for robo-candidate, Mitt Romney.
3) The Namesake — I just recently saw this film on dvd. I heard good things about it but it was the biggest surprise. This is a fantastic film about family and identity. The performance of the father character by Irfan Khan is easily one of the best of the year.
4) Rescue Dawn — Christian Bale is very quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. He is so great in this movie and it’s actually a very surprising role for him. Steve Zahn is also fantastic. You can’t go wrong with Warner Herzog and Rescue Dawn is certainly no exception.
5) King of Kong — This movie did not get the attention it deserved. If you are at all a video game person, this movie is a must see. It shows us how a simple game of Donkey Kong can become an epic struggle between the forces of good and evil.
movies that just missed my top 5 are Knocked Up, Zodiac, 3:10 to Yuma, and Death Proof.